The Dickinson Home Pamphlet
In 1940, the library on South Main Street had expanded to include addition of a new wing. Between 1940 and 1980, it had again outgrown the South Main Street location and the library was looking to expand. This undated brochure outlined a fundraising campaign to purchase the Dickinson Home on North Main Street to “meet the town’s library needs for at least the rest of this century!” The $250,000 campaign was not successful, and the library did not move to its current location until 1980. The proposed floor plan for the Dickinson Home shows two reading rooms, an exhibit area, and a separate children’s room – features that would be included at 33 West Avenue.